Marcion and the making of a heretic :
God and scripture in the second century /
Judith M. Lieu, University of Cambridge.
|Main Author:||Lieu, Judith.|
> of Sinope,
> active 2nd century.
Church history > Primitive and early church, ca. 30-600.
Theology, Doctrinal > History > Early church, ca. 30-600.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- 1. Introduction
- Part I. The polemical making of Marcion the Heretic. 2. The beginnings of the construction of a heretic : Justin Martyr
- 3. Irenaeus and the shaping of a heretic
- 4. Marcion through Tertullian's eyes
- 5. The heresiological tradition
- 6. Theology and exegesis against Marcion
- 7. Marcion in Syriac dress
- Part II. Marcion through his scriptures. 8. Marcion as editor and interpreter I : Marcion's 'gospel'
- 9. Marcion as editor and interpreter II : Marcion's 'Apostolikon'
- 10. Marcion's other writings
- Part III. The second-century shaping of Marcion. 11. Marcion in his second-century context
- 12. The principles of Marcion's thought and their context I : God
- 13. The principles of Marcion's thought and their context II : the gospel
- 14. The principles of Marcion's thought and their context III : life and practice
- 15. The principles of Marcion's thought and their context IV : the contradictions of the gospel
- 16. Afterword : Marcion and the making of the heretic.