Questions of truth :
fifty-one responses to questions about God, science, and belief /
John Polkinghorne, Nicholas Beale.
|Main Author:||Polkinghorne, J. C., 1930-|
|Other Authors:||Beale, Nicholas.|
Louisville : Westminster John Knox Press, 2009
> Popular works.
Theology, Doctrinal > Miscellanea.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Part I. Leading questions. Science and religion
- Human nature
- The existence of God
- Creation and evolution
- Evil and suffering
- Divine action
- Jesus Christ
- Final destiny
- Part II. The concept and existence of God. Can God's existence be proved?
- Is God a delusion?
- How can God inhabit eternity?
- Does God know everything?
- Is everything divinely predestined?
- Is God the source of all morality?
- What about the trinity?
- Part III. The universe. How did the universe begin?
- How can something come from nothing?
- Isn't everything random?
- What is the anthropic principle?
- Have anthropic arguments been refuted?
- Why is the universe so big?
- Will everything, eventually, be explained by science?
- Is a unified theory of everything possible?
- Part IV. Evolution. Is evolution fact or theory?
- What about intelligent design?
- Can the mind be explained by evolution?
- Isn't evolution unethical?
- Why is evolution so wasteful?Part V. Evil. Where does evil come from?
- Who or what is "the devil"?
- Why is there cancer?
- Is original sin a result of nature or nurture?
- Why do people choose evil?
- Does religion inspire evil acts?
- Part VI. Human being. Who were Adam and Eve?
- What does it mean to be created "in the image of God"?
- When does an embryo become a person?
- Do we have souls?
- What is conscience?
- Does human life have a purpose?
- Do humans matter more than animals?
- Part VII. Religion. Is atheism a form of faith?
- Can we see truth?
- Which stories in the Bible are true?
- How does the death of Jesus save the world?
- Why believe Jesus rose from the dead?
- How much do you need to believe to be a Christian?
- What place do non-Christians have in God's universe?
- Will sinners suffer eternal punishment?
- What is the point of praying?