American heroes :
profiles of men and women who shaped early America /
Edmund S. Morgan.
|Main Author:||Morgan, Edmund S. 1916-|
New York ; London : W.W. Norton, 2010
> United States
United States > History > Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 > Biography.
United States > History > Revolution, 1775-1783 > Biography.
United States > History > 1783-1815 > Biography.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- The conquerors
- Dangerous books
- The unyielding Indian
- John Winthrop's vision
- The Puritans and sex
- The problems of a Puritan heiress
- The case against Anne Hutchinson
- The Puritan's Puritan: Michael Wigglesworth
- The courage of Giles Cory and Mary Easty
- Postscript: Philadelphia 1787
- The contentious Quaker: William Penn
- Ezra Stiles and Timothy Dwight
- The power of negative thinking: Benjamin Franklin and George Washington
- The end of Franklin's pragmatism
- The founding fathers' problem: representation
- The role of the Antifederalists
- The genius of Perry Miller.